The Raw Milk Freedom Riders Mission Statement:
The Raw Milk Freedom Riders are dedicated to overturning the FDA’s criminalization of interstate raw milk shipments as a way to end the agency’s ongoing assault on dairy farmers and the consumers they serve. The assaults included raids on small dairies that distribute raw milk, undercover investigations of ordinary citizens who consume raw milk, and assorted efforts to destabilize private food clubs, among other actions.
We are committed to intentionally defying the interstate ban as a way to publicize the reality that raw milk isn’t a public health hazard and to publicly expose the FDA’s violent acts listed above.
We demand that the FDA leave raw milk decisions entirely to individual states, and respect the rights of individuals to enter into private contracts with farmers to obtain the foods of their choice.
Reasons why some of the freedom riders consume raw milk:
– Raw Milk has been consumed safely throughout human history, it’s a whole food that should be available to those that seek it.
– Many people have sought out raw milk for it’s healing properties, something known by physicians for centuries. Learn more about how milk was used in the distant past to bring health back to the sick (this document was created during a time of change in this country when processors were opening up factory milk operations in cities):
Tell us your reasons, email us at: email@example.com
FACTs & FAQs:
1. Where can I find raw milk and what type of raw milk is preferred for human consumption?
Ideally when seeking unprocessed, raw milk you want to look for a farmer that has animals on pasture and if you are in a cold climate that they feed hay in the winter. Read more about where to find raw milk, the benefits and how it should be produced at: www.realmilk.com
2. What are the nutritional properties and benefits of raw milk?
A good source of information can be found here: http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/
(note: Bill Marlor (aka “Ambulance Chaser”) has a counter site called “http://www.realrawmilkfacts.com/” which is based on their “interpretation” of Science, but not based on FACTS)
3. Producers of the raw milk used on our rides are kept anonymous because we are concerned that the farmer will become a target by local or federal officials and want to protect the farmers that risk their livelihood to provide their customers and the freedom riders with unprocessed milk.
We only provide trusted sources of milk at our events, we use the standards that we know and trust for raw milk intended for human consumption. We label the milk so if someone purchases it at one of our events they can contact us for any follow-up required with the farmer.
4. What is the legal status of Raw Milk in the United States?
The federal government allows the sale of raw milk but not across state lines the law can be read here: (http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=1240.61), furthermore the FDA is recommending that states adopt their position of banning raw milk (http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/Product-SpecificInformation/MilkSafety/CodedMemoranda/MemorandaofInformation/ucm079103.htm).
Raw Milk is legally accessible in 39 states through a variety of options such as (on farm, in stores or through herd shares). For an interactive map of how you can obtain raw milk in your state see: http://ftcldf.org/raw_milk_map.htm and to find raw milk in your state or nearby see: http://www.realmilk.com/where.html.
5. Is Raw Milk legal in Europe and Canada?
The European Union states that Raw Milk products are legal for sale but individual countries can tack on regulations (just like the US does at the State level). Sales in Scotland are illegal, but all other countries in Europe have no outright ban on raw milk at this time (Dec 2011). In many European Countries you can even buy raw milk from vending machines! A recent article about the introduction of raw milk vending machines in England is below:
The sale of raw milk directly to consumers in Canada is illegal and at the provincial level also forbid the sales and distribution of raw milk.